DOBEDOO – The Villa Comunale was built in 1780, thanks to King Ferdinando IV of Bourbon. It expands more than 1 km from Piazza della Vittoria to Piazza della Repubblica, and it divides the Chiaia coastline from the promenade of Via Caracciolo. The King thought about the villa as an exclusive place where the aristocracy could have long and relaxed strolls, indeed, common people were not allowed to enter.
Later, the tree-lined avenues were embellished with neoclassical sculptures, fountains and little temples, like the circular one by Stefano Gasse, a neoclassical installation in honour of Torquato Tasso, which presents a Tasso’s bust realized by the sculptor Tito Angelini; the temple of Virgil, with a herm of the poet; the meridiana obelisk; the Casina Pompeiana. More, inside the Villa Comunale there the Press Association and the Anton Dohrn’s zoological station, with the oldest Europe aquarium.
In 1860, during the Italian Unification, the villa was opened to everybody and it was called “Villa Nazionale”. But throughout the Second World War the villa was used as an encampment for the German troops settled in Naples and for this reason, the it suffered many damages due to the allied bombardments. After many years of hard work of restoration, the Villa Comunale obtained the actual look.
Nowadays the villa overlooks the so-called “lungomare liberato”, a relaxing area for tourists and families that have the opportunity to ride their bicycles or to rent a rickshaw in order to enjoy the extraordinary view of the Gulf of Naples.
Opening and closing times
From 07:00 am to 10:00 pm from 1st November to 30 April;
From 07:00 am to 12:00 pm from 1st May to 31 October.
How to get:
Chiaia funicular or metropolitana Line 2 (Piazza Amedeo Station), tram no. 1.
The entrances are from Piazza Vittoria and Piazza della Repubblica, more 12 holes in via Riviera di Chiaia and 6 gates in via Caracciolo.
It is under the management of the municipality of Naples: 0817953652 – 08128179551